Today I was grateful for teenager's creativity. I did not realize it until it happened but today my students in all three classes had a chance to be creative in different activities we were doing. I loved getting to see some of them shine (even the ones for whom math is not their strong subject). My part one class had "fashion" lab where they drew different items on a stick figure corresponding to their answers. The pictures they drew were so funny and it is so funny hearing their comments while drawing the items. "There is no way I am drawing a purse--its going to have to be a shopping bag instead." "My person's surfboard is going to have been attacked by a shark I'm thinking!" "How do you draw a belt on a stick figure--they have no waist!" These comments and drawings definitely made me laugh! (there were several more!)
In my algebra class, they got to make a design out of a linear equations on their graphing calculator. To them it was like a game they get to play. It is amazing how much more students are captivated when you give them a calculator. Some just completed the assignment, but so many really got creative trying to make designs only out of linear equations. I loved hearing, "oh look what I did!" or "cool!" My students were creative today and I loved getting to see them think (even when its not always about mathematics directly!)
No comments:
Post a Comment